About St.Mel's Catholic Church
St. Mel Catholic Church 1921 to 1985
Before St. Mel became a parish in its own right, it was a mission parish of St. John's parish in Folsom. Dating from 1921, 6 priests from Folsom served the spiritual needs of the people of Fair Oaks. On July 20, 1921, Auxiliary Bishop P.J. Keane dedicated a mission cross on a 1 1/4 acre plot of land on Bridge Street in the village of Fair Oaks. The dedication ceremonies included an open-air Mass and Benediction. On November 13, 1921, a group of 100 men from Fair Oaks, Folsom, Orangevale, Repressa, and Sacramento began work with the intention of erecting a church building in one day. At the end of that day, a rustic shell was completed and that served as a place of worship through the winter and following spring.