About Bella Vista High School
Bella Vista is Spanish for beautiful view. We see the Spanish influence in the schools architecture and the idyllic view of the green fields behind the campus. Traditions include the Bronco as the school mascot; scarlet, black, and white as the school colors; La Bandera (The Flag), La Remuda (The Exchange), the yearbook. The idea of the Bronco for Bella Vistas mascot came from a student council representing nine feeder schools. The Bronco seemed the best fit for the surrounding area and the community, a very rural area at the time. Mrs. Ruth Phillips and Mr. Paul Mohr, music teachers, selected the Alma Mater music, and Bella Vista students wrote the lyrics.
Ground was broken for Bella Vista in July 1959 on a 50-acre site. By 1960, five buildings and the present shop buildings were finished and freshmen and sophomores attended classes the first year. It was not until May 1962 that all buildings were completed. These included forty-five standard classrooms, five science laboratories, five shops, four homemaking rooms, two music rooms, two gymnasiums, a nurses office, library, cafeteria, the stage and administration and counseling offices. A regular length swimming pool and a diving pool opened a few years later.
Bella Vista is known for its excellence in academics, music, drama, fine arts, and athletics. ROP is an additional alternative for students. This excellence has been recognized in our many California Distinguished School awards.
Bella Vista has a long history of championships. Fifty-five teams represent Bella Vista in mens and womens athletic competitions. The Academic Decathlon, Science Olympiad, Moot Court, and Mock Trial teams have experienced continuous success. Additionally, outstanding and successful alumni are a credit to the school and its commitment to excellence. Staff, students, parents, and administrators work together collaboratively to carry on The Pride of Bella Vista by providing the finest education possible for students.